1. Section off a triangular chunk of hair in the front before you start. This will make your swirly gig later!
2. Put the top half of your hair up with an elastic, like you are doing a half up half down hairstyle. Make sure its pretty tight.
3. Make a ponytail with the bottom half of your hair, but before you secure it with an elastic, add a section of hair from the top pony to make the ponies look more 'joined together'.
5. Tada! Shake it out and fluff it a bit with a teasing comb. This trick makes your ponytail look MUCH longer!
1. Take the chunk of hair you sectioned off at the front and start back-combing it section by section. Pull the section of hair firmly upward and press the bristles of a teasing comb down into the roots. A Spornette teasing comb is best for this! It is what I used.
2. Spray generously with a firm hold hairspray. I used Kevin Murphy Session Spray and it was perfect for creating this style. Thank you to Kevin Murphy team for sending it to me!
3. Smooth down the fly-aways created by back-combing but be careful not to break down the back-combing itself. Grab some bobby pins and get ready to do the swirl.
4. Gently twist the section of hair and make a loop at the end of the section as I am showing. Carefully roll this section up on itself, like a cinnamon roll. This may take a few tries. You may find it helpful to use a gel product to keep the section together if you have layers. It took me a little practice!
5. Once you have rolled the section up completely, fasten it into place with sneaky bobby pin placement. Spray it very generously with your hairspray to make sure it stays in place.
Hope you enjoyed and I hope my instructions were coherent! Hope to share more tutorials soon!
One of those days...and what a long day it has been. Ready to change into those cut-offs right now.
Leather covered watch: Natalia Brilli
Tank top: Alexander Wang
Cut-off shorts: One Teaspoon
Cashmere hoodie: J. Crew
Bag: Alexander Wang
Belt: Golden Goose
High top sneakers: Golden Goose
Bullet cuff: Mawi
My sister made orange chocolate chippers for Thanksgiving...they are my great grandmother's recipe! You can get the recipe on my mom's blog.
Poor Melanie, her expression here is remarkably tolerant. What a sport.
Chicken & waffles at Oddfellows.
Umm, most gorgeous handbag I've laid eyes on. As seen at Ralph Lauren...a girl can dream.
What do you know, they've made edible glitter. That exists.
Picture of my hair for the Margiela x H&M post. I was soooo proud of myself. I am obsessed with hair but have very, very poor motor skills so it was really hard to do the swirly thing. If I can do it, you can do it, and I promise the tutorial is on its way.
Speaking of hair, here it is after being freshly colored by my friend Jessica. She used a waving iron on it and I loved the look!!
My mom bought these Kate Spade flats and I might need to get a pair for myself too. I love Barbie shoes.
Did I mention two of my best friends have the Pamela Love for Nine West boots as well? I feel like the girls who scream 'Twinsies!' in the Shit Girls Say video. They are totally sold out now I am sorry to say.
Susans of many colors. The black is still my favorite.
With my sister. She and my mom and my dad just got home from Wales today, I missed them like crazy. Honestly, no one makes me laugh harder than my mom and my sister. It does suck that I'm the oldest sister but also the shortest.
An amazing shot snapped by the talented StyleSheet team (Kristi and Scot Redman) when I DJed at the D Election Night party at the Granada Theatre. What a fun night!!
Wearing Anine Bing boots and being spied on by Melanie
Okay, I have not officially introduced this guy. I did not want to make an official announcment about his adoption because I had so recently adopted Melanie! I would hate for people to think I am a dog hoarder! I am not, and I take animal ownership very seriously (duh). I had always planned on adopting a friend for Melanie, but it happened a little sooner than I had planned.
My aunt had fallen in love with my mom's chihuahuas and was looking to adopt a special chihuahua of her own. She wanted a rescue of course, and she enlisted our help to find the right match for her. I went to Operation Kindness (a WONDERFUL no-kill shelter) with my mom and my sister. When we held Jimmy, he looked up at us with hope and desperation in his eyes, clinging to us like a lifesaver. He was only THREE pounds when I got him, apparently his sister was eating all of his food. There was just no way we could leave him there. We did find a perfect dog (Lupe) for my aunt in the end as well.
Jimmy (full name: Jimmy Dean) has been with me for about three weeks now, and every day I am so thankful that I found him! He is the most affectionate, loving, ridiculous dog I have ever met. Yes, I might have to use the word 'needy' too. He is three years old, and it's just hard to believe because he reminds me of an infant child. Constant holding and snuggles. If he is not in my lap he is deep under his Hello Kitty blanket. Melanie is happy to have a buddy too. Chihuahuas forever.
My sister and my mom are in Wales this week, giving me a small window of time to sneak in some Christmas shopping. We are really terrible at keeping secrets from each other and I am pretty sure they both know what they are getting, but I want to get a few surprises in there too. I did it all yesterday and I can't wait to put them under the tree. Now is definitely the time to get those Christmas orders in, I feel like the post office is backed up three weeks late already!!
Here are some fail-safe options for the people on your 'nice' list, and maybe you too! :)